Helping your worms through a heatwave
With the heat due again this week, pop your Vermihut somewhere cool like in the laundry, and a couple of other things than might help include:
- “fluffing up” the bedding to get oxygen right in to it
- Popping in a chopped in half avocado (face down) to create a breeding haven/nursery
- Sprinkle in a little dynamic lifter to get eggs hatching
- Pop a couple of iceblocks in the top tray (a couple as in 2 not 20!)
- Add extra coconut fibre to give them greater depth to bury down in the heat
- Keep the tap permanently open not only for improved circulation but for drainage, as the worms will bury down away from the heat, and if there is liquid in the liquid tray, they will drown.